State Commerce Department doles out grants for mental and behavioral health care
OCTOBER 15, 2020 01:28 PM, UPDATED OCTOBER 16, 2020 02:37 PM
The Washington state Department of Commerce has awarded 22 projects a total of $33.8 million in grants to support 395 new beds and outpatient services that will assist people with a wide variety of behavioral health needs and offer local community placements for people leaving Eastern and Western State Hospitals.
The state grants will go to intensive behavioral health facilities, dementia care, and other specialized needs.
These grants fall under Gov. Jay Inslee’s five-year plan to modernize the state’s mental health system. The grants are the final two rounds of 2019-2021 state funding for behavioral health facilities. Commerce awarded over $12.3 million in January and $23 million in May this year, bringing the total capital grants for behavioral health facilities to approximately $70 million.
Some of the healthcare facilities receiving funds include:
- Comprehensive Mental Health of Tacoma Pierce County: $1.96 million, 16 beds in Tacoma
- Americare: $1.96 million, 40 beds in Pasco
- 6th Avenue Senior Living: $612,500, 41 beds in Tacoma
- Lucid Living: $588,258, 4 beds in Olympia
- Thurston Mason BH-ASO: $1.54 million, 6 beds in Tumwater
- Emerald City Enhanced Services: $1.96 million, 16 beds in Lakewood
- Lutheran Community Services Northwest: $510,803 for outpatient services in Kennewick
For more information on these services, click the link here and click here for more on Gov. Inslee’s Five-Year plan on mental health in the state of Washington.
Gov. Jay Inslee will be holding a news conference with Benton and Franklin commissioners and other area leaders at 3 p.m. Thursday, July 2. JENNIFER KING TRI-CITY HERALD
Hello, I’m Andrew Hammond, and I am new to the Pacific Northwest area. I’ve been a journalist for 13 years, mainly covering sports in the state of Kansas, where I am from. I’m excited to be a part of the Pacific Northwest sports scene. Feel free to follow me on Twitter @ahammTNT