Stigma Free Company
C O M P A N Y
Many people face mental health challenges in the workplace and at home, yet negative stereotypes still exist. These stereotypes and misconceptions are called stigma. Together, we can do our part in helping American workplaces thrive by eliminating stigma. Mental health is everyone’s concern and its consequences to the workplace, in particular, are tremendous:
- Mental health conditions are the leading cause of disability across the United States.
- Untreated mental health conditions cost the economy $200 billion in lost earnings each year through decreased work performance and productivity.
- 8 of 10 workers with a mental health condition report that shame and stigma prevent them from seeking treatment.
- The family is also affected, increasing the use of leave time for family members.
StigmaFree Company is NAMI’s partnership initiative to challenge, highlight and cultivate a company culture of caring and enhanced engagement around mental health. By being a StigmaFree Company and prioritizing mental health as a workplace and community priority, you will help:
- Increase productivity and promote a healthier work environment;
- Decrease the impact of disability;
- Increase retention and engagement of valued employees; and
- Strengthen your company brand by linking to a cause that resonates with so many.
What Does A StigmaFree Company Look Like?
Brands and companies have a crucial role to play in the mental health of their employees, customers, and consumers as well as communities overall. We need companies’ help to raise awareness that mental health conditions are not the result of personal weakness, lack of character, or poor upbringing—and that knowing the facts about mental illness can help reject stigmatizing stereotypes.
NAMI SW WA can assist you in creating a culture that values employees’ overall health, including emotional well-being and mental health. Being StigmaFree creates the foundation for a culture of openness, acceptance, understanding, and compassion. And NAMI SW WA can help, by providing you with:
- StigmaFree Company resources, assets and education materials
- Ideas for events and initiatives around key dates in the mental health movement
- Guidance and expert advice, which could include in-person support, presentations, and workshops (expenses to be paid by the company)
- Referral to our NAMI National and nearly 900 local NAMI Affiliate networks
- Linkages to other StigmaFree Company partners
- Brand visibility, recognition, and social currency
- Benefits of association with a good cause and respected organization
- Metrics and impact outcomes
Check out the resources available to you, including a powerful 30-minute interactive video activity, collateral materials, infographics, and more.
NAMI SW WA is offering StigmaFree Company workshops for your workplace which create a culture that values employees’ mental health and emotional well-being. Raise awareness, create an environment of support, openness, compassion, understanding, and acceptance.
We provide StigmaFree Company resources and educational materials; presentations and workshops; advice, guidance, and in-person support; and the benefits of the association with a good cause and respected organization.
Check out NAMI National’s list of growing StigmaFree Company partners.
To find out more about the NAMI StigmaFree Company initiative, contact Tom Lane, Program Director, NAMI SW WA at 360-695-2823 or firstname.lastname@example.org.