Family to Family Course
*We do not currently have a Family-to-Family class scheduled. You can pre-register here on our website or call 360-695-2823 to get your name on the list.
What is NAMI’s Family-to-Family Program?
NAMI Family-to-Family is a free, 8-session educational program for family, significant others and friends of people with mental health conditions. It is a designated evidenced-based program. This means that research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to a person with a mental health condition.
NAMI Family-to-Family is taught by NAMI-trained family members who have been there, and includes presentations, discussions and interactive exercises. All the materials are given for free.
What does the course include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem-solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
“Family members who take the NAMI Family-to-Family course are better equipped to work with mental health clinicians in a collaborative manner. My bottom-line recommendation? Take this course. It will help you learn to cope successfully with a major challenge in your life, and that, in turn, will help your loved one as he or she works toward recovery.”
-Peter Weiden, M.D., author of Breakthroughs in Antipsychotic Medications
Why You Should Attend
A TOOLKIT OF INFORMATION
- Up-to-date information about a range of mental illnesses, including co-occurring mental illnesses and substance use disorders
- Impact of mental illness on the brain
- Current research on treatments including medication, side effects and evidence-based therapies
TRAINING IN PREPAREDNESS AND EMOTIONAL RESILIENCY
- Skills related to managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- Strategies for self-care including management of stress and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate local supports and services
Perhaps most importantly, as a participant you can gain comfort in knowing you are not alone. Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all families and individuals dealing with a mental illness. The in-person group experience of NAMI Family-to-Family provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow.
What Others Have To Say About NAMI Family-to-Family
“Before I took the course, I felt alone and overwhelmed dealing with my son’s mental illness. By taking this course, I have met others who are going through the same things I am and have learned about many resources that I never knew existed.”
“I thought my wife and I knew just about everything there is to know about the system and the illness. Boy, were we wrong. Without a doubt, this is the best support course I have had the privilege of taking part in, bar none.”
Register online HERE or call (360) 695-2823 to add your name to the pre-registration list. When we schedule the class, we will call you immediately to let you know the days and times.